Monday, January 29, 2007

Finally a real relaxing weekend

For the first time in a long while I actually had a weekend that was meant to be relaxing turn out to be relaxing. After work on Friday I picked up a rental car at the airport and a friend at the café. I ran home packed a few small things and we headed back to the café to help set-up for and watch another friend’s performance in God on Broadway. First and foremost props to all who performed in this. Every single one of them had fabulous voices, but especially Dennis and Genevieve knocked my socks off. Talk about pipes, they both had a magnificent set of them.

After God on Broadway, Dennis, my friend Joe and I headed out to Western VA to meet up with the rest of the gang at a lodge we rented in Luray. It took us about two hours not counting a couple of stops. One getting my first every ticket/summons to court. OY! Slightly frustrated about that but am planning to write and see what kind of a deal we can work out as I was in a rental car, in a state I don’t live in with a PA driver’s license. Hopefully as it is my first offense they will be lenient with me.

Anyway we got there around 11ish and the rest of the gang was all there. We chilled for a bit chatting and listening to the guitar and singing along at times. Then we all gathered round the TV and watch “The Italian Job” (I was thinking of you BETH!). I hit the sack about halfway through because I was exhausted.

The next day I was up at 9:30 AM and ate and showered. Then a group of us decided to hike down the hill and find the river. It was great, the weather had gone from bitter cold the day before to warm with a slight chill the next day. When we got back from our hike we ate lunch and decided to hit the Luray Caverns (pics later). Not so sure that was a good idea as I am slightly claustrophobic. There was a garden maze there as well that we raced through. Out of the group of six of us that went in, I got out first. (I am way to competitive and not really sure how to change that)

After the maze, Adrienne, Bryan, Stacey and I headed for our “guided” tour of the caverns. It was pretty fascinating as well as scary, for me at least. All the different types of stalactites and stalagmites were amazing. I couldn’t help but look at them and stand in awe of Gods creativity and power. There was even this one portion of the cavern that had been turned into a natural organ. We were blessed with a live performance where “A Mighty Fortress is our God” was played. How utterly fitting!!!!

There was even a wishing well! Though I don’t believe in them I threw in a good dollars worth of change in high hopes ;-). Actually they dredge the pool at the end of each year and donate the money to a charity. It is pretty cool and if I’d had more change I would have thrown it all in. Towards the end of our tour the guide asked if everyone wanted to see how dark it was in the cave. Since I seemed to be the only person who didn’t, I grabbed a friends arm and held on so everyone else could “enjoy” the feeling of total and complete blackness. I felt like I was in hell, except there was no torture or heat.

When we were done here we headed back to the lodge and ate dinner. Celebrated Dani’s birthday with cake, ice cream and some salsa dancing. Well at least most of us did. Dani attempted to teach me but I just really am not that good. Then we all chilled and sang worship songs and talked. It was a really fabulous weekend and I would do it again any time. I really got a wonderful chance to get to know better some folks that I had met or known previously but had never hung out with. What a great group of friends. Thanks to Stacey, Rob, and Adrienne for pulling this together. Your hard work was much appreciated.

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

oh it's so good to hear something :) it sounds like a wonderful retreat...sounds like the kind of thing i would love!

i thought i might see if luke would be interested in watching the italian job. we'll see.

a really great movie to see is the illusionist...have you seen it? i think you'd like it.

Shrig said...

How did you get your blog to look like this?

Elizabeth said...

Woa...This one makes me think of the Underground cafe...black and red.