Saturday, May 05, 2007

I did it!!

Well I actually got up at 7:30 AM on Saturday morning stretched and ran 2.5 miles all on my own. Then I came back stretched out again and laid down for a nap. Then I met up with my brothers girlfriend and my friend Amber and we headed to the Jeremy M. Herbstritt Memorial 5K. Where we met up with some of their friends. We registered got our t-shirts, stretched and prepared to walk. Lucky for me Michelle one of the other girls was interested in running the 5K as well so we paired off and took off. We ran most all of the race. I would say we ran a good 2.75 miles out of the total 3.2 miles. We stopped and sped walked up the hills, though there weren't many, because neither of us could do it. I finished the race in 38.?? minutes. I was really excited because that is about how long of a run I do at home as well for about the same length of time.

What did I get out of this you ask? Well, I got a chance to pay my respects to his family and come to grips with reality a little bit. I got to help out the family as all proceeds from the race went to Jeremy's family to help with all the finances. I also got the chance to start off my racing/running life in a perfect tribute to a friend. Oh yeah I also got some terrible sunburn on the shoulders and a headache because I didn't drink enough water.

Tomorrow my Mum and I are headed to the graveyard to visit Jeremy and say my goodbyes. My heart is aching right now in ways i can't begin to describe for Mike, Peggy, Jenn, Joe, Steph and Lex. I wish that I could take there pain away and make life all better for them. I wish that I could give them Jeremy back and that I could take his place. Honestly death doesn't scare me. I am ready to go home and be with my Father.

Well until later...

3 comments:

Shrig said...

Yeah J.J.! Very proud of you. :)

You did a very good thing for Jeremy's family (and got a little practice for yourself too ;) )

I hope you found the closure you needed. Call me if you have some time !

Lisa said...

Way to go JoyAnna! I'm proud of you. YOu are on your way to a summer of fun (and hard work, and sore muscles, and fatigue, and joy, and exhiliaration...).

Elizabeth said...

wow! you're going to have to help me get motivated to run....i'm so lazy and i'm getting fat.

you may be ready to be with Father, but i'm not ready to let you go...so please hang around for a while...a lot of us love you :)