Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Knee

So I went to the Orthopedic surgeon today. It was definitely a better experience than my last one with the doctor who screwed up my left shoulder. He was older so definitely had more experience and had a very personable personality. So anyway…

He thinks I may have a torn miniscus. I will have an MRI performed on Monday at 9:30 AM, please pray. Then I will meet with him again next Thursday to discuss the results and the options. Here are some of the options that we know of right now. If it is a torn miniscus, due to the fact that no blood flows to there it won’t heal on its own. This means that I will have to undergo surgery to repair the tear. It isn’t a major surgery, in fact it is an in and outer. I have also been told by someone who has had the surgery that you are up and walking on it in two days time. This would be absolutely lovely.

The other option is one that I am not so excited about and would actually ask that you pray towards the way of surgery and quick recovery. The other is to give me a shot of cortizone directly in the knee and then proceed with months of therapy. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you know me at all, you know how much I absolutely despise and loathe shots. I have had a cortizone shot before directly into my shoulder joint and it was the most awful and sickening experience I have ever been through. So those are my choices.

On the other hand my doctor informed me to be prepared for a lifestyle change when I show up next Thursday. Basically he informed me that my ankles roll inward due to a lack of arches and this may have helped cause the undue pressure and excess rotation in the knee that created the situation that I am in now. So basically he is planning to put me on an exercise regime that will correct this and make me more healthy. He told me to find a gym to join. Here we go again.

In some ways this is a good thing. I have made it a goal to achieve my pre-college weight this year. That means I have 40 pounds to lose. I have cut back on my sugar intake and improved my eating habits but I had not changed my exercise regime yet. This will help with that aspect of losing the weight. I am really excited about that.

Oh he also put me on celebrex, which I thought was absolutely hilarious. All the commercials I have ever seen concerning this drug contained old people. Due to that, I have always assumed it was a drug for old people to be able to handle their arthritis pain. So yeah………I’m old!!! :-) Well anyway that’s my life right now.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

wow, i'll definitely be praying for the surgery! it sounds like this was a good doctor. i'm excited for you. i really think you'll be able to lose the weight. i really need to start excercising as well. maybe we'll have to push eachother more. (i have the opposite problem...my arches are WAY too high-making my ankles turn out and my knees turn in--predicting very serious knee and hip problems in the future). well, keep persevering!