Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Des Moines, Iowa

I just spent a marvelous weekend with my Best Friend Beth in Des Moines, Iowa. We had such a good time. We spent most of our time just hanging out and trying to capture every minute possible. On Saturday, I met her boyfriend Shawn and went for a hayride at her Aunt and Uncle's house. Isn't she beautiful and you can tell we went for a hayride because of the hay bits in our hair.

We had such a good time. On Sunday I went to church with her, it was my first experience attending an African American church. Shawn preached on the meaning of AWANA. It was really neat. Then after church we headed out to her Grandparents for lunch. Beth has the coolest Grandparents. Her grandfather used to be a cowboy and they play the harmonica together. Her Grandma is just the sweetest person you will ever meet. I was so honored to have gotten the chance to meet them, I remember in college they were all Beth could talk about. After lunch we ended up meeting up with her Aunt and Uncle to go shopping at a mall. Beth got a really cute outfit and I got this great tam. We went to Texas Roadhouse for dinner. It was really good but I was stuffed afterwards. Beth could barely get a bite down since it hadn't been that long since our big lunch and she has such a small stomache :-). The next day was Monday and Beth had to work. I took her in and then went next door to grab some coffee.

The people in Iowa are so nice. There were a couple of older ladies in there and they came up and started chatting with me. They wanted to know where I was from and what brought me there and if I was enjoying myself. It was so sweet. I ended up spending most of the day just relaxing and taking a nap. I met Beth for lunch and then picked her up from work around 4:30 PM. We then met up with Shawn and went to a really neat restaraunt where you pick all your makings and they grill it for you and give it back. It was really neat and I walked away very stuffed. Then we went to this second hand book store and I got 14, I think original, Ian Fleming James Bond books. I am so excited to read them. Then Beth and I hit up our usual spot at Barnes & Nobles. We bought leather journals and grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down to start journaling. It was so much fun.

Oh while we were out that night, someone from the airline called me to tell me that my flight had been canceled and that I had to pick a new time of either 6:49 AM or 1:24 PM. I was so mad because the original time was 8:48 AM and changing it all around really messed with all of our schedules. Well anyway we did make it and I was very sad to leave. I was glad that Shawn came with us though because I wouldn't have wanted Beth to be all by herself after I left.


I miss you my dearest Beth!!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

AWWW! we had such a good time! i miss you too...i am glad we were able to do lots while you were here. keep journaling!!! i have to fly out and visit you in d.c. before you move, remember!

love you!

Elizabeth said...

okay, common honey...you've gotta make some new posts for me to read while i'm at work!!!