Sunday, September 10, 2006

September 10th, Day 2

We were up at 6:00 am to pack, shower and get down to breakfast by 7:00 am. I find it funny that I am on holiday and getting up just as early as I do when I am home in the States. We were on the road by 8:15 am and headed off to our first stop, Alloway. Alloway is the birthplace of the National Poet of Scotland, Robert Burns. It was a quaint little thatched cottage. (photo at xanga) They have added much since its original production. Mostly the grounds though and not really the cottage. There are beautiful gardens and a quaint little museum. (photos at xanga)

Then it was back on the bus, well after a bit of a scare. One of the elderly ladies on our tour stumbled and fell on her face and started having a seizure. We ended up having to call the ambulance to come and check her out. It seems she was seizuring due to shock and everything was okay. One of the negatives to having all elderly folks on the tour. :-/ So then we were back on the road headed to Gretna Green. This place is famous for the blacksmith that used to marry couples on the run. It was mainly a tourist trap and not that fabulous. I didn’t get any pictures from there.

Oh yeah on our way to Gretna Green we actually stopped for a photo op in the highest town in Scotland which also happened to be the home of our tour guide. It was really neat, we got to meet his father and his dog and his father loved to share stories. I REALLY LOVE THIS COUNTRY!!! (photos at xanga)

On our way through this area I saw my first heather, though it is starting to go out of season so the hills were not purple with it but it was still a treat. I also got some fabulous pictures of the Scottish thistle. (photos at xanga)

After this we offically ended up in Gretna Green, from there we headed to Carlisle, England. We stopped and toured the castle. And of course no castle is complete unless it has a ghost. The story at this castle is based on this tower…(photo at xanga)

Supposedly in the little window near the top of the picture can be seen The Grey Lady. The story goes that this room was closed up at some point and when it was turned into a barracks in the 1800’s they opened up to make it into Sergents Quarters. When they broke down the wall they found the skeleton of a woman and small child. I saw nothing though, of course as you can see I was there in broad daylight. Oh well :-). More pictures of Carlise. (photos at xanga)

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It makes my eyes teary. I still dream of going there with you, JoyAnna...if you stay then it will be easier for that to happen! I think you should find a way to live there...at least for a little while. I love you dear....honestly, I'm trying not to cry.

Anonymous said...

I wish I were there too. :(

And honey, you saw your first "heather" ages ago. :P


Have a wonderful trip.