Saturday, April 01, 2006

Mr. Darcy

So I have this acquaintance that used to be a friend that reminds me of Mr. Darcy. In 'Pride and Prejudice' Darcy tells Elizabeth that his biggest weakness is that if someone loses his friendship it is lost forever. Thus the pride.

This is where the comparison begins with this friend. I messed up with them a couple of years ago and have been paying for it ever since. Not for lack of trying to fix it that's for sure but...they seem to be informing me with their actions that they don't care for my friendship at all. I mean we aren't talking a light friendship that was ruined we are talking about a friendship where this person knew almost everything there is to know about me. In fact I needed to put them on my security clearance form because they were the only person that I still had "contact" with from the one school that I went to. I jokingly warned them not to make anything up and they said back you should be more worried that I know everything.

Well anyway, I had invited this friend to get together for coffee this weekend and catch up. I figured at our age we could both be "man" enough to move on and try again at this friendship. I ended up leaving a message and telling them about this great little place where I work and that I would be hanging around there this weekend and to give me a call if they were interested in trying to catch up.

I knew for a fact that this person was around for the weekend because I had to pass where they live to get to work and I saw their car outside. Well to say none the least this person doesn't have to guts to be a "man". I mean I am talking didn't even bother to call at all, not even to say no it wouldn't work out. The sad thing is, this person is interning for a leadership role within a church and you would think that someone wanting to be in leadership would know that bitterness or pride are unacceptable.

I am just so frustrated and tired of trying to do the "right" thing. I wouldn't be trying so hard if I didn't miss their friendship and the conversations and wisdom, they have provided in the past, so much.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

hmmm, if this is who i think it is...i'm not sure he's worthy of being compared with mr. darcy. i just don't think he's ever been as good as you think he was. and it makes me want to punch the nose out of this guy, for plaguing you without even being in your life anymore. let him go, joyanna. he isn't worth your friendship (i've found your friendship is like a priceless gift...and some people just don't deserve it).