Monday, August 21, 2006

POETRY

Face in the Mirror
Who is that looking back at me?
Who am I?
And where am I supposed to be?
Different folks tell me
I am different things.
But why can't I just see?
Who is that looking back at me?


The days are short
The nights are long
Will anything ever be the same
Since you are gone?

You gave me hope
A reason to live.
But now I just die
With nothing to give.

You gave me love
And I thought I was something.
When you left me
Love did too and now I am nothing.

When will you return?
I need you in my life.
With you around
I know that I can survive.

The days are short
The nights are long.
Will anything ever be the same
Since you are gone?



AUTUMN
Golden Leaves
Yellow Sheaves
Chocolate Trees
Lazy Bees
Orange Flowers
Red Apples
Mellow Sun
Lotsa Fun
Apple Ciders
Hidden Spiders
Chilly Hayrides
Pumpkin Pies
Queen of the Night
Moon so Bright
King of Day
Sun so Gay
Summers End
New School Trend
School Uniform
Thunder Storm


ODE TO MY BROTHER THE MARINE
They said you'd never do it.
Tourette Syndrome blew your chances
Yet you pursued it.
I remember playing army in the sand
And in the quarry with the little green men and
Then in the woods with each other.
I remember watching you realize
That Tourette Syndrome would ruin your life
And would all your dreams deny.
I remember watching your frustration
With your twitching and noises that you
Never could seem to control.
I saw the medicines never work.
I saw your dejection from the rejection
From friends who turned to jerks.
I remember your defeating that rejection
Turning it around in another direction
By becoming "one of the boys."
I have seen your dream apprehended
To become onf the FEW, the PROUD, the SPLENDID,
A United States Marine.

4 comments:

Amy Bushatz said...

re: your comment...
this is where the abusing my power thing comes in. Im getting a galley copy, straight from the publisher ... ! Im super excited. Ill be passing it around my paper to people who can do some publicity for it ... after I read it, of course ;-)

kiltsandthistles said...

Rock on!!!

Elizabeth said...

hey, this brings back totally nastalgic memories!!! Sitting in Mrs. Suartz class...I remember being really impressed with your poetry...I think that's when we started becoming friends :)

kiltsandthistles said...

yeah, i think that's what most of this is from, that anthology we had to produce for her class. that is so funny and makes me feel honored that you remember that :-)
LUV U